Monday, May 7, 2012

Where Lilacs Still Bloom review

3 stars. Cover: 4 stars.
Where Lilacs Still BloomReview: "Where Lilacs Still Bloom" is better than most books I have read from Jane Kirkpatrick. I could actually finish this book. But I just didn't "like-like" it. I've never liked fictionalized non-fiction, and most of the characters were boring. And I did not see the point of adding fake people to the story, when most of them had no impact to the outcome of the story. The best thing about this book was the cover. There were a few scenes that made me laugh, but nothing more. I didn't feel like I was "there" with them. I didn't feel as if I "knew them personally". It took me four days to read this book (Books I love only take me a few hours), and I was forcing myself to read it. I felt as if it were a punishment. Anyway, the book is basically about a German housewife whose main goal is to "create" a creamy white, twelve petal lilac. I love flowers, I do, but not enough to read a book which is focused on flowers. Most of the scenes felt rushed, the characters (Based on real people) didn't seem developed, and switching back and forth between character to character and not knowing what was going on most of the time led me to decide this book was--well, boring. Hopefully, I will never have to read another book by Mrs. Kirkpatrick again. (Sorry, all Jane Kirkpactrick fans!) I am sure she has talent, just not the kind of talent I like. God bless her and her writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment