Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A (Maybe) Teen Author Comes Visiting

Hi everybody! I'm Emily Rachelle, blogger of Struggles of a (Maybe) Teen Author, aspiring author (obviously) and online friend of Katelyn here.  :)  Since Katelyn was looking for more authors to interview and host guest posts for, and I fully intend to be a published author someday, I offered to drop in.  However, I'm not entirely sure what to say to you strangers, so I *borrowed* a few questions from Katelyn's previous interviews.  This is my first time interviewing myself, though, so bear with me...

Yes, I like Edgar Allen Poe, but no, that is not a book I would typically pick up at the library - or, with that cover, anywhere.  Yeah, yeah, I know the whole "don't judge a..." nonsense, but who really listens to that anyway?  Why else would we have covers?  Why else would authors and publishers go to such great lengths to ensure an amazing cover?
GeekPhilosopher: Instant download of free stock photos, images, backgrounds, and desktop wallpapers. Pictures can be used for personal and commercial web sites.


Some basics: How old are you? 16. Where do you live? Georgia, at the moment. Education? Homeschooled, tenth grade. Favorite non-writing hobbies? Reading, movies, crafty stuff, web-surfing... um... collecting zany socks?

How long have you been writing?  Well, my love of reading bloomed in first grade, but writing didn't come in until fourth grade.  The social aspect of that year of my life was terrible, as were a few other aspects, but my teacher was stellar and her focus on creative writing played a part in who I am today.

When did you know that you wanted to be an author? I don't really know.  Back in that fourth grade class, I didn't know much about authors.  Honestly, I think it came upon me slowly as I got older and started writing - and raeding - more.

Did you have any trouble with dialogue, plot, etc? Actually, plot is pretty easy for me.  Dialogue sometimes is forced at first, but I fall into it quickly.  Same with actions and emotions.  It's the scenes that have more description or information than dialogue or action that I struggle through.  Also, like most writers, I. Hate. Editing.  Polishing and shining and proofreading is (scarily) easy for me, but content edits drive me up a wall.  Especially the 'big picture' variety.

If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? That would be fun.  (I'd probably research her beforehand just to avoid discussing things I could've learned from Google - although I would have a terrible time acting like we really haven't met when I've read her most famous book and watched Anne Hathaway reinact her life story.)

What do you love most about writing? Getting swept along by the flow of the story - that moment when the characters and dialogue and scenes take over and you type faster than a cheetah runs, while the scene crystallizes in your head and you suddenly feel like you're watching your new favorite movie or a dream play out in your very own mind.

If you could be any character from any book - including your own - who would you be? Oh dear.  Um... I'd really prefer to just be me.  Is that an option?  Because my life is so totally suited to me.
What role does your family play in your writing? Actually, they're more character influences than real-life influences.  My grandma loves my stories, my parents follow my blog, and my brothers signed up for NaNo this past year.  (Not that they actually participated, but they *did* sign up.)  I'm a bit of an introvert (okay, so my mom sometimes gets frustrated with my lack of social activity...) so I don't talk so much about what I'm writing.  What I'm reading could be a different story...
What is your favorite author/book? Actually, I have several: Shannon Hale, Melody Carlson, Robin Jones Gunn, A Family Forever, Tour de Force... there are many others, and these are in no particular order.
Do you outline, or just write ideas as they come? Sort of both?  Well, I keep a writer's version of an outline for most stories, but then I have lots of side notes and paper scraps that may or may not make it into that story.  Also, outlines change.  A lot.
Okay, I'm gonna log off now.  Thanks for letting me pop in, Katelyn, and meet all your lovely readers!  And, said lovely readers whom I don't know, why don't you come visit me sometime?  You can find me at my blog, Struggles of a (Maybe) Teen Author, where I've listed some other contact information - not to mention lots more to know about moi. ;)

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha . . . Emmalie, you didn't actually say who you wanted to have dinner with. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you're an INTROVERT?!?!?!?! I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha.... I know, right? Funny, All the Fearsome Foursome are here except Lindsey. ;)

      Delete
  3. Beekee, I wrote an entire paragraph about eating dinner with Jane Austen and how, after the initial "I-loved-this-part" and "what-inspired-that-scene" stuff, I would prefer to talk about the stuff nobody today knows about Jane Austen and avoid too much writing conversation. Now, if I had a whole day to spend with her, that would be a different story.

    However, it appears that paragraph has mysteriously vanished into cyberspace. I never even noticed until you pointed it out. :\

    Also, dearest Kataleen and Beekee, I might point out that there's a difference to being an introvert and being shy. "Introverts get their energy from time alone, and interacting with tons of people leaves them feeling depleted. But shy people–who can be introverts or extroverts–fear being judged negatively by others." [http://modernmrsdarcy.com/2012/02/shy-fashion/] I am a (very) outgoing introvert, who has great people skills but can become very drained after using them for too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. I have to edit my post 100 times to get half-ay decent. 75% of my posts always disappear.<3

      Delete